A quick reference garden mate for everything you need to know to be a successful gardener in the Flagstaff Area!
For the novice and experienced gardener. On this double-sided, colorful, laminated sheet, you will find (varies slightly by region):
- A year-round garden timetable
- Cool vs warm weather crops
- # of days from seed until harvest (shortest to longest)
- # of days until germination (sprouting, shortest to longest)
- Good and bad companion plants (which plants grow well/poorly as neighbors)
- Which plants don’t transplant well
- Local edibles foraging calendar
- Soil health, mulch, thinning, seed planting depth, sun & water needs
- Edible & noxious weeds, native flowers
- Local expert advice about the easiest & hardest vegetables to grow in Flagstaff
- And more!
- FOR THE BEGINNING GARDENER I have consistently heard people say “It’s too hard to garden in Flagstaff,” or “It’s all so overwhelming – I don’t know where to start.” My aim is to be a gardening cheerleader and dispel the myths of its complexity.
- Now everything you need to know to be a successful gardener in Flagstaff or Tucson can be found on one double-sided sheet – how difficult could it be? It is simple: find some dirt, a shovel, some seeds, and this guide, and you’ll be fine!
- FOR THE SEASONED GROWER If you have been gardening for years, it’s nice to have the numbers and dates and details stored durably year after year AND to have all of your information compiled into one easy-to-use reference sheet.
Source: Author Julie Lancaster